Saving energy in your home always has good consequences: it helps improve finances, has a positive effect on pockets in times of inflation and contributes to preserving the environment.
Even in extreme seasons like summer and winter, saving energy at home is easy if you create habits that optimize consumption and apply them gradually.
Do you know how to start? We leave you five tips for an intelligent use of energy:
1 Choose the best time slot
Choose the time to use high consumption appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, ovens or microwaves, since the rate is different depending on the time slot.
It may seem complicated because there are different sections, but it is worth bearing in mind that the price of electricity until 8 in the morning is the cheapest.
2 Insulate the house
Poor insulation of the home increases the electricity bill. Although some insulation problems are best left in the hands of professionals, there are simple and inexpensive solutions.
First, identify leaks in doors, windows or other areas of the house that are in contact with the outside and second, apply insulating material such as silicone, on the perimeter of the structure to hermetically seal the affected area.
3 Use energy-saving light bulbs
Replacing traditional light bulbs with LED or low energy bulbs takes five minutes but results in a significant change in energy savings in the home.
Although energy-saving light bulbs have a higher price, they last longer, which also contributes to the environment.
4 Hire the best power and rate
Not choosing the contracted power necessary for the house well leads to an increase in the bill. For example, in a house of 75 square meters with 2/3 inhabitants, a power of 4.50 KW is ideal.
If you consume more electricity during daytime hours, you will be interested in contracting a fixed electricity rate. If you are usually at home only part of the day, it is still convenient for you to hire a variable electricity rate.
5 Unplug appliances (silent spending)
Have you noticed the red light on some electronic devices? It means that it is not completely off. It is called being on "stand by" and increases the electricity bill by up to 9%. To avoid this, you have to unplug it from the mains. It is also important to have the heating or air conditioning turned off if they are not being used.
Did you know these measures to save energy in your home? At Hogar Mediterráneo we help you to optimize the use of the resources of your apartment, house or chalet by offering you up-to-date advice.
Contact us to learn more or to find the home of your dreams.
With the arrival of heat and the record of very high temperatures, forest fires have wreaked havoc this summer in Spain. Many fires have affected rural homes, and even those located in towns and locations near the countryside.
There are many factors linked to forest conservation that allow us to preserve our forests and homes. Do you want to keep your home safe and stop the spread of fires?
Follow these 9 steps to protect your home from a wildfire:
1 Keep flammable objects (lawnmowers, oil or gas cans, propane tanks and woodpiles) at least 10 meters away from the house at all times.
2 Clean roofs, gutters, wood decks, patios and decks of leaves, pine needles or other flammable materials.
3 Remove the flammable compost and keep it at least 5 meters away from the house. Replace it with non-flammable materials.
4 Remove tree branches or bushes that hang over the house, roof or chimney.
5 Keep the lawn watered and mowed. Also make sure that the waste is removed at least 10 meters from the house.
6 Prune tree branches that are less than 3 meters above the ground (because of their proximity to the ground, these branches are highly flammable).
7 Place metal mesh screens over vents and under wooden decks to keep embers out.
8 Take these steps: install smoke detectors; hire fire alarm systems to improve security and have fire extinguishers, fire blankets and fire doors on hand.
9. Avoid these oversights: poorly extinguished butts, failures in the electrical system, stoves and braziers; overload in plugs or strips and defects in electrical appliances and electronic devices.
At Hogar Mediterráneo we know what your home is worth and we offer you recommendations to keep it safe at all times. Contact us to request more information on how to protect your home at any time of the year.
Follow us on the networks to stay up to date on news from the real estate sector!
If you want to buy a house and need to apply for a mortgage, you may be wondering: how much time do I have to save to apply for the loan?
The answer depends on variables such as age, salary and the value of the home you want to buy. You should also consider your daily expenses for rent, car, insurance, etc., since all of this influences your ability to save.
We are going to analyze each aspect and make an approximate calculation of how many years an average citizen should save to buy a home in Spain.
1. The salary. The latest data published by the INE, corresponding to the year 2019, show that on average, a Spaniard earns 24,395 euros per year.
2. The mortgage. According to said body, the average value of a mortgage in our country amounts (March 2022) to 145,715 euros.
3. The entrance. Considering that banks usually grant up to 80% financing of the total value of a home, if the mortgage granted is 145,715 euros, the real price of the property would be around 175,000 euros. Of those, about 30,000 should be provided as 'entry'.
4. Other associated expenses. To that 20% of the down payment, you must add approximately another 12% of the purchase or appraisal value of the home and notary fees, which are borne by the buyer.
5. Savings. Thus, whoever wants to apply for a mortgage must have saved at least 45,000 euros. How long will it take to save that money if you charge 24,395 euros gross per year, that is, 1,600 euros per month in twelve payments?
6. The rule. If you comply with the recommendation to allocate 50% of salary to fixed expenses, 30% to other expenses or leisure and 20% to savings, the future owner will be able to save 320 euros per month. So, when 140 months (11 and a half years) have passed, you could save the necessary 45,000 euros.
7. The fee. Bearing in mind that it is not recommended to invest more than 30% of your salary in housing, the mortgage fee should be around 500 euros.
8. The term. This person could request a payment term of between 25 and 30 years, also depending on the interest.
At Hogar Mediterráneo we know all the necessary aspects to plan the purchase of a home.
Contact us if you are interested in requesting a mortgage to buy the house of your dreams and consult our related news: When to subrogate the mortgage? o Is it better to buy or rent a home?