With the arrival of heat and the record of very high temperatures, forest fires have wreaked havoc this summer in Spain. Many fires have affected rural homes, and even those located in towns and locations near the countryside.
There are many factors linked to forest conservation that allow us to preserve our forests and homes. Do you want to keep your home safe and stop the spread of fires?
Follow these 9 steps to protect your home from a wildfire:
1 Keep flammable objects (lawnmowers, oil or gas cans, propane tanks and woodpiles) at least 10 meters away from the house at all times.
2 Clean roofs, gutters, wood decks, patios and decks of leaves, pine needles or other flammable materials.
3 Remove the flammable compost and keep it at least 5 meters away from the house. Replace it with non-flammable materials.
4 Remove tree branches or bushes that hang over the house, roof or chimney.
5 Keep the lawn watered and mowed. Also make sure that the waste is removed at least 10 meters from the house.
6 Prune tree branches that are less than 3 meters above the ground (because of their proximity to the ground, these branches are highly flammable).
7 Place metal mesh screens over vents and under wooden decks to keep embers out.
8 Take these steps: install smoke detectors; hire fire alarm systems to improve security and have fire extinguishers, fire blankets and fire doors on hand.
9. Avoid these oversights: poorly extinguished butts, failures in the electrical system, stoves and braziers; overload in plugs or strips and defects in electrical appliances and electronic devices.
At Hogar Mediterráneo we know what your home is worth and we offer you recommendations to keep it safe at all times. Contact us to request more information on how to protect your home at any time of the year.
Follow us on the networks to stay up to date on news from the real estate sector!
If you want to buy a house and need to apply for a mortgage, you may be wondering: how much time do I have to save to apply for the loan?
The answer depends on variables such as age, salary and the value of the home you want to buy. You should also consider your daily expenses for rent, car, insurance, etc., since all of this influences your ability to save.
We are going to analyze each aspect and make an approximate calculation of how many years an average citizen should save to buy a home in Spain.
1. The salary. The latest data published by the INE, corresponding to the year 2019, show that on average, a Spaniard earns 24,395 euros per year.
2. The mortgage. According to said body, the average value of a mortgage in our country amounts (March 2022) to 145,715 euros.
3. The entrance. Considering that banks usually grant up to 80% financing of the total value of a home, if the mortgage granted is 145,715 euros, the real price of the property would be around 175,000 euros. Of those, about 30,000 should be provided as 'entry'.
4. Other associated expenses. To that 20% of the down payment, you must add approximately another 12% of the purchase or appraisal value of the home and notary fees, which are borne by the buyer.
5. Savings. Thus, whoever wants to apply for a mortgage must have saved at least 45,000 euros. How long will it take to save that money if you charge 24,395 euros gross per year, that is, 1,600 euros per month in twelve payments?
6. The rule. If you comply with the recommendation to allocate 50% of salary to fixed expenses, 30% to other expenses or leisure and 20% to savings, the future owner will be able to save 320 euros per month. So, when 140 months (11 and a half years) have passed, you could save the necessary 45,000 euros.
7. The fee. Bearing in mind that it is not recommended to invest more than 30% of your salary in housing, the mortgage fee should be around 500 euros.
8. The term. This person could request a payment term of between 25 and 30 years, also depending on the interest.
At Hogar Mediterráneo we know all the necessary aspects to plan the purchase of a home.
Contact us if you are interested in requesting a mortgage to buy the house of your dreams and consult our related news: When to subrogate the mortgage? o Is it better to buy or rent a home?
Are you lucky enough to have a terrace in your home? Congratulations, because it is the ideal place to enjoy at home during the summer. Whether small or large, it is possible to take advantage of the terrace and create a comfortable and charming atmosphere, ideal for relaxation.
We leave you 5 recommendations on how to take advantage of your terrace in summer and turn it into the favorite corner of the house.
DECIDE THE USE AND STYLE
Depending on the size of your terrace, you will have to decide how you will use it: do you want it to eat, or just to read and enjoy the sunset? Can you fit seats and a table or just a couple of chairs? The decoration must be consistent with the rest of the house. When choosing furniture, choose them in a functional way, for example a low table is used for snacks and also for dining outdoors. If you don't want large furniture, a corner bench with cushions or a nice hammock are ideal for resting.
ADD PLANTS AND COLORS
The vegetation on the terrace guarantees freshness and beauty. The greenery and leafiness of the plants will give the space a natural touch and help regulate the temperature. They also add intimacy. Place tall plants or ficus-type trees to create a thermal barrier, protect you from the wind and provide privacy. Take time to select the colors of the terrace. White and neutrals brighten the environment and go with everything. As a complement, add fibers and contrasting tones. Brightly colored cushions add vitality.
KEEP THE SUN AT BAY
What we like most about summer is getting in the sun. However, there are times of the day that it is wise to avoid going outdoors. The terrace must have shaded areas to be comfortable without suffering burns. This shaded space is achieved with awnings, pergolas, articulated parasols or green roofs. Choose the option that best suits your terrace.
LEAVE SPACES TO SAVE
If you have a small terrace, the ideal would be that you could also use it the rest of the year. For this reason, it is advisable to place furniture with storage seats to store cushions or whatever you want, without taking up space. Regarding materials, you should give priority to those that are resistant to sun and rain.
PLACE GLASS FOR MORE LIGHT
If you have an independent chalet, you can make the terrace look larger by changing the traditional railings for tempered glass. It will allow you to enjoy views of the horizon, as well as being safe and decorative! If you live in a semi-detached house or building, you will have to ask your neighborhood community for permission.
At Hogar Mediterráneo we know that summer is the time of year when we most enjoy the open spaces of our home. Decide to transform your terrace, no matter how small, into a welcoming place for you, your family and friends.
Contact us for more ideas, advice and recommendations to take advantage of the terrace or refresh your home in summer. We know everything about real estate!